Monday, April 6, 2009

Up for discussion

On further reading of shakespeare and his works.
I have found that is historical writings all relate to 'love' in someway show and inability to step outside his comfort zone. His works are good i dont dispute that but i just find that he really only writes about love or in his writings they all involve love.
What is your opinion?

14 comments:

  1. Shakespeare wrote for an audience - it was his day job.
    Thus he wrote plays that people would want (and pay) to see. He knew what sold: love, sex and violence! He kept these at the core of his work because these are things that the people of the era could relate too.

    Although we don't challenge people to duels or lock them in stocks anymore; if you look at today's films you can see not much has changed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All stories are about love, Isaac. Think about one single story you've read or seen that hasn't involved love at its core.

    As John Lennon said: "All you need is love."

    But what type of love are you talking about? Love of family? Platonic love? Romantic? Loyalty and love of one's duty and country?

    This year we'll be doing Romeo and Juliet. I can't stress enough how much I love this play.

    Romeo is torn between his love for his family and "gang" and for Juliet. Juliet is torn by love and honour of her family's name, love for her "gang" and for Romeo.

    Glad to see you're reading up on Shakespeare. Want to show up your teacher, eh? I better be on my game then!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Comfort zone's were a thing of fiction in Shakespeare's day. Love was central to his plots, just like they are in most stories today.It stands to reason, if you want to be famous you target the biggest audience possible with stories suited to them. Basic advertisement strategy really. Though another thing to contribute was that no-one else was writing these stories at that time, therefore boosting Shakespeare's reknown.

    There are a million myths on why Shakespeare wrote the things he did. Such as that each of his sonnet's were written for a particular, different person; maybe multiple for one person. That the 'dark woman' featured in some of his sonnet was a lover, or that some were written for a man. We also hear about when Shakespeare went through a time of depression and thus we ended up with works like Hamlet and Romeo and Juliet- tragic romances if ever there were any. Though Hamlet being a romance is also highly debateable.

    But also remember that in Shakespeare's time his work would be under close scrutiny by people wanting to stop him writing. Just by publishing his work (ie. performing it in front of an audience), he was probably risking his head. There were many times when people tried to stop his work from being read, seen or performed. New laws, regulations etc. For example they tried to make it so only catholic plays could be performed- so Shakespeare converted to christianity. Seems ironic really.

    Romeo and Juliet is a play dear to my heart. After watching it for more than 3 months being rehearsed I'm not sure I could really ever forget it (it has nothing to do with the fact that i've read it a zillion times either ok!)I'm actually impressed that you've been reading Shakespeare Isaac, I thought I was one of very few... Nice work.

    Love itself is a dificult topic. As Goodwin points out there are many different types of love; and its impossible to really do much more than skim the surface if you want to get through all of them.

    Look you got me rambling about Shakespeare- shoo.

    Just a side note- Goodwin I would really like my copy of R & J back sometime soon. Please?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow.... didn't realise how big that was until I posted it... and I held back O.O

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm posting here instead of marking the folios you people worked so hard on.

    Wow, another great post from Giverny! I'm going to have to be REALLY on my game this year with ol' Billy Shake.

    And no, Giv, Hamlet is not regarded a love story. Hamlet destroys poor Ophelia without ever knowing it. He's too obsessed with revenge on everyone else. The tragic irony is that there is no-one to punish for Ophelia's death (except himself, but he never sees that) and this merely adds to his impotence as a harbinger of death to all who deserve it. (Truth is, I'm not sure he ever really KNOWS who deserves to be punished for anything! He is the epitome of a tragic figure, fumbling uselessly in the darkness of his doubt and self-denial.)

    You're familiar with the 'Christian Revolution' of English theatre. Truth is, there was a real Catholic backlash at the time. The Queen didn't want anything to do with them and, quite simply, they were killjoys!

    Shakespeare wrote plays like Hamlet and Macbeth after the death of his son, Hamnet -- even his comedies took a dark turn (read Merchant of Venice and Measure for Measure). I'd love to have seen the religious backlash against Macbeth! Shakespeare knew that bad press is good press, and these probably resulted in his most profitable plays... oh, and a little, tiny play called Romeo and someone-or-other.

    I'm not aware of Shakespeare converting to Christainity. That's new to me. I'm sure it was only to do with either buying and selling real estate (he was BIG on that) and getting special permission to put on his plays. The death of his son may have had something to do with it. Hedging his spiritual bets, perhaps.

    Rumour had it Shakespeare may have spent some time in gaol (for homosexuality, perhaps? The same thing happened to Oscar Wilde) so, I'm sure this converted him pretty quickly to a man in need of God.

    Have you read Bill Bryson's "Shakespeare?" Remind me to give it to you. Interesting read.

    And your R & J has been sitting on my office desk since '08. I'm so selfish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sir, in response to your statement that all stories are about love- I didn't really find that the Dead End series was about love... just an observation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. we're going R & J this year?!?!?!?

    Yay!!! *girly scream!*

    Can we skip persuasive language and do it right away??? please....!?

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha nice try alex, i wish too,

    but persuasive language isnt THAT bad,
    but i found out i can act impro advertising better than i can write it today... ahahaha

    Anyway, josh,
    In one way or another, MOST stories are about love, i've read a few that aren't. Or i['ve written some, so mr. goodwin, there. did i prove you worng. i've written stories that have benn completely focused on the mental state of my character.... like im going crazy like shakespeare..

    I'd like youi to tyr and tell me how that contains love!???

    Bec

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow. im sorry that spelling was shocking. but because, i cant be bothered to write it out again, im going to make you all figure it out for yourselves. (laughs evilly)

    Mwahaha now im evil, and crazy!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thats slack Sir. Selfish and lazy, you know giv won't give up till she gets it back. By the way Giv u still owe me. Q.Q

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mr goodwin should not waste his time commenting blogs.



    He should be marking our assignments


    *cough cough

    ReplyDelete
  12. shut up marie.... i know it u....

    ReplyDelete
  13. am i the only one who thinks reponses should be kept to a 2 paragraph maximun.

    seriously, i really cant be stuffed reading all of goodwins or givernys haha

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh well that's just nice isnt it...

    I can't realy be bothered to read it wither... but i know some people want to write more than 2 paragraphs... so we may as well let them

    ReplyDelete