Now that the year is coming to a close, it is time for everyone to post their five favourite films of the year. I'll post mine up.
1- Inglourious Basterds. Big surprise, I'm not evern going to bother explaining why)
2- Drag me to hell. This is the an absolutely hilarious, and fun film, and is a hundred times better than those 'scary movie' films...
3- Star Trek. Yes, I feel like a huge nerd for saying this, but after being dragged to the theaters, I actually found it to be a really good movie. And this is coming from someone who doesn't really know much about Star Trek, nor cares for the show (it's different to Star Wars, I'm telling you!)
4- Terminator Salvation. I actually gave this a miss during it's run in theatres, because it looked pretty crap, plus I'm getting sick of Chirstian Sillyvoice Bale. However, after realising that I had to get a one nighter at video ezy to get my weeklies for cheap, I decided to rent this. I'm very glad that I did. It was actually a pretty good stand alone movie (it was a little different to the other terminator movies, but that didn't bother me) so this was definately a surprise for me.
5- The Spirit. This wasn't a particularly great movie, nor did I love it, however, it was pretty entertaining at the time, and there's not really many other movies this year that I enjoyed, so this just gets in.
You left out 'UP'.....feel good comedy of the year.
ReplyDeleteWell I haven't seen 'up', so it can't be my favourite. But even if I had, I'm sure it would end up cloer to my most hated 5 films of this year.
ReplyDeleteRacist
ReplyDeletehow can you like Terminator salvation?? It WAS crap. And i don't think i can participate, because although i have five favorite movies that i've viewed this year, none of them were made this year.
ReplyDeleteYeah, that doesn't count. And I really did think that it would be crap, but like I said, I found it really enjoyable. Was it the greatest terminator film ever? No, but when that Arnold Swatser-longname look alike walked through the door, there was magic in the air (oh god, I'm going to sound so gay since he was naked, haha).
ReplyDeleteRacist gay haha
ReplyDeletelol. fair enough Josh. I suppose though, i'm not really the target audience for films like that. I think i only saw it because i was bored.
ReplyDeletewas christian bale in that?
ReplyDeleteYar, as John, wait for it, Connor. At least he was better than Nick Stahl (who i actually have seen be good in some stuff, but in terminator 3, I hated him.)
ReplyDeleteMovies are boring there haha
ReplyDeletemovies arnt boring. They are a release from boredom
ReplyDeleteWell, to be fair, some movies are boring. Probably the most boring film I have ever seen, which I saw out of free will, not because of some teacher making me, was "the eagle has landed." My god, it just kept going on and on.
ReplyDeleteyou WILLINGLY saw a movie called "The Eagle Has Landed"???
ReplyDeleteI hated that movie at retreat. It was like "hmm how many over-the-top sudo-emotional moments can we fit in to 90 minutes?"
Answer: Too Many.
Mine:
ReplyDelete1. BOAT THAT ROCKED! - Set in the 1960s.... Full of sex, drugs and best of all.... rock and roll! Brilliant cast and incredible soundtrack! (Apart from a stupid cover by "Duffy"...pfft) Had to see it twice!
2. WATCHMEN - A great looking film with very intelligent writing. I must admit to girly cringing during some of the fight scenes though. Also amazing use of The Sound of Silence by Simon and Garfunkel.
3. UP - I'm not big on kids movies but i LOVE this. The characters where well developed and the story was really good. The montage at the beginning made me cry and there were some beautiful moments... plus who doesn't like a chipmunk-ed-Rottweiler?
4. INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS - This was the first Tarantino movie I'd seen in the cinema and I have to say I was impressed. The suspense in the cottage scene was almost unbearable without losing momentum. The dialogue (as always) was fabulous and it wasn't as violent as his other work; which while some found disappointing, I appreciated. Though the scalping was totally ew-worthy. Also stood up to a re-watch! =)
5. SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE - Simply brilliant and deserved it's acclaim.
Also great were The Hangover, How to Lose Friends, Boy in Stripped Pajamas and Alienate People and Manufacturing Decent.
Finally someone to argue with, but firstly: The Eagle has landed is actually a pretty well thought of War Movie, with Michael Bane, I thought it would be really good. Grrr...
ReplyDeleteNow to retort your mostly terrible list :P
Watchmen? What is wrong with you? I fit perfectly into the target audience for this, and I couldn't stand it! Sure, the director did use a lot of music quite well (i don't remember the sound of silence playing in it, but I do like that song, lol) and the opening scene had so much promise, but all of the fights were done so over the top (in a bad way), and a lot of the acting was appauling (the main woman for instance was obviously just cast for her looks).
Meanwhile, I've lost all of my respect for you for even mentioning Up or the Hangover. I haven't seen How to love friends and alienate people, although I heard it wasn't too good (I won't pass judgement however, I'm just saying...)
UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteHow good was it!?!
ReplyDeleteCute and cute the same time!
and there is a kid at Joeys that looks exactly like the lil fat kid haha
ReplyDeleteHarsh...
ReplyDeleteSound of silence plays at the comedians funeral.
ReplyDeleteThe kid with "Star Trek" and "Terminator Salvation" says his lost respect for me???
=P
Hangover was incredible stupid but very funny. It has Mike Tyson, Vegas and a tiger in it.... whats not to love!
How to lose friends and alienate people was good the first time - it wore on me after that.
Have to agree that all the Scary Movie movies totally suck. It's just softcore porn dressed as "comedy"
I am curious, have you ever actually seen Star Trek? I actually just watched how to lose friends and alienate people on Austar, and while some parts were funny (particuarly towards the start) I thought it was a step down from Simon Pegg's other films, and his character was really inconsistant as well. I'm not sure if I'd call Scary Movie soft core porn, but the fact that it sucks was kind of my point...
ReplyDeleteI haven't been to the cinema since January 2009 and before that, I hadn't been since the 25th January 2008. I didn't go at all in 2007 and I went once in July 2006.
ReplyDeleteSo I've only been to the cinema three times in the past four years!!
I always wondered who my Mortal enemy would turn out to be. Never thought it would turn out to be Steffie...
ReplyDeleteJoin the club.
ReplyDeleteI'm actually watching star trek now..... =(
ReplyDeleteFoolish, foolish parents. lol.
Why are your parents foolish?
ReplyDeleteI don't go to the cinema because I don't like seeing people I know there (which always happens).
ReplyDeleteWow, Someones Unsocial :S
ReplyDeleteHey I go to other places. I just don't like the cinema.
ReplyDeleteGrrr
ReplyDeleteThey made we watch star trek. lol.
ReplyDeleteWhich was better than many of the movies you listed in your top five thing...
ReplyDeleteDoubtful. lol.
ReplyDeleteHow can you not like Up?
The question is, how can anyone above the age of, oh, let's say ten, like 'up'?
ReplyDeleteIts actually got a rather deep substory once you get past the giant rainbow bird....
ReplyDeleteGrrrr... lol. I admit that there are plenty of childrens movies out there that can be enjoyable to adults as well, Wizard of Oz, from what I head, Where the Wild things are, Pete's Dragon (well, this was a favourite of mine as a kid, haha) and the list goes on. Up however, is not one of them, nor is any of the other trash Pixar does, except for maybe the first toy story (second was rubbish).
ReplyDelete