Tuesday, December 22, 2009

I'm Confused.

Has anyone else seen Where the Wild Things Are?

If so, what'd you think of it?

I can't work out if I liked it or not... I wouldnt take little kids to see it though... the wild things are creepy... =S

2 comments:

  1. I thought it was quite a touching film. It was beautifully filmed, using mostly warm browns and blacks. There was enough menace in the monsters for them to warrant their names, but you're right, it's not a kid's film. It's just a film with a kid IN it.

    I loved the layers of the story: on one level, the monsters are the teenagers living across the street from Max. There are even matching shots of the teenage girl and, later the girl monster, as they look back ruefully at a distressed Max.

    On another level, the monsters each represent a child-like emotion in Max: anger, anxiety, defeat, impotence.

    On yet another level, the monsters represent children needing a parent, just like Max. Max discovers that it's difficult being a parent, juggling childish needs of teenagers as well as your personal needs. (ie: the mother's new boyfriend)

    I also like to think the main monster, whom Max befriends, is also an embodiment of Max's absent father. To leave the monsters is a symbol of Max's readiness to move on with his life.

    Besides this, I think the movie was 30 minutes too long and could've used some bloody humour SOMEWHERE to lighten the mood occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed the first 20 minutes or so and thus couldn't work out if the film was confusing or if it was just me. =S

    It's basically a 101 minute metaphor. =P

    I was REALLY impressed with the cinematography and design of the film (this was probably my favorite thing about it)... it looks stunning! The fort they build is incredible, it looks like a Salvador Dali painting!

    The boy who plays max was great too.

    It was very much an emotional rollercoaster; some parts made me want to cry while I found others very heartwarming or scary... I do agree that some humour would be appreciated.

    The bit where max gets eaten was kinda weird though....

    ReplyDelete