“Get off me!” I screamed, and threw myself to the ground, away, anywhere further away from him, away from them. Not that it did much good. I am bound, hands and feet, wrists and ankles, blindfolded. I am blind, and in pain, helpless and terrified. I am kidnapped.
I hear Sam, my brother, groan as he is kicked, lifted off the ground, gagged and thrown into the confined, claustrophobic, dark and damp space in the back of the cab. Lifting myself onto my wrists and knees I try to crawl away. They are coming for me, I can sense it. Their footsteps send vibrations through the earth, and every vibration strikes terror into my veins.
My attempt to escape fails me. I am kicked, punched, gagged and forced at gunpoint to climb into the cab. What choice do I have? I flail around, reaching for Sam’s hand among the mass of bodies, entangled, crying and shivering. I hear him whimpering, but we are too scared to cry. The truck rumbles to a start and we tumble over the rocky, uneven ground. We have been moving for hours, not knowing, not seeing our hands in front of our faces, only stopping for “bladder breaks”, but they aren’t for us. The smell of urine is overpowering, it’s nearly enough to induce a stupor. If I just hold my breath now, make it all easier, give up all hope.
I can hear the moans, the cries, the whimpers, as the other captives struggle against their minds. You have to struggle to stay alive in this world. Struggle to keep your sanity. The whimpers and moans are enough to drive you insane. I try to imagine the world I just left, one of war and famine. We were on our way to escaping that, but I never imagined it like this. We were becoming refugees, now Sam and I truly were orphans. Never seeing our parents again, one dead to war, the other died fighting for our lives. I try to rest, but my head is filled with images of my mother, lying on the ground, her blood stained chest and her eyes rolled in the back of head, her mouth open, trying to scream. In a country like this, that’s what happens when you fight for your rights.
The moans and groans get louder; I am dizzy, lost and lonely. The soldiers in the truck strike terror in my veins. They yell profanities I don’t understand. Why are we being punished? We only want what we deserve. Human rights. But these people, these Taliban, want none of it. They have it all, but why do they deny and entire race all for themselves? But we must obey them, one rebellion and we are dead.
Sam stirring from his sleep pulls me from my Stupor-like-trance. But something is not right. His hands, are slowly growing colder, his breath is slowing. My fear hits the roof. My veins freeze cold with terror of being alone. His pulse slows, and stops, before I can do anything. I try to scream, and choke on the damned gag. I try to move, try to stumble over to him, but I am stuck.
I create a stir; I can only faintly hear profanities being thrown at me. Sam’s whole life is flashing before my eyes, my eyes flood with tears and I soak the cab around me. Sam, Sam. How could he give up on me? But of course, his little body could not handle this, this torture, this pain. Why did I not realise it? I pray, Allah, I pray, care for him. I am the only one left now. Why did it come down to me? This is the only life I have ever known, but my family was the only thing that made it bearable.
I whimper, I scream, I cry. This is torture. I cannot bear it. The thoughts of giving up are stronger, and stronger. My stomach is doing constant back flips. All I can think is my family, and how badly I want to be with them. My mind is driving me insane, with thoughts of suicide. The gag is sharp, surely it would cut flesh. Maybe I can Jump. Maybe… Just maybe…. I’m driven insane by these thoughts. It’s all that crosses my mind. Thinking of my mother, of father, of Sam, all dead, throats slashed skin blue, eyes bloodshot. I must be with them; I need to fix those images.
I Bent over and kiss my wrist as I slice it with the gag, and try not to wince. I can smell the sticky, salty blood and taste it on the gag. My brain is slowly losing itself. Slowly shutting down. I know this is not the end, barely a relief. It’s no escape, I’m just going to another place, perhaps a safer one. As I lay and bleed to death, my last thought is “I will always be kidnapped.”
That must have been some sharp gag!
ReplyDeleteI liked the lead up to the suicide it kept me entertained, but sometimes i felt like i was re reading the same part because a lot of the metephores etc were the same.
Amy
Nice idea, the plot unfolds at a relaxed pace, even through the carnage which the story throws at the reader. The ah-ha moment in the story, where the captors are revealed as the Taliban and the story's main character is found to be Muslim. Although I must say that although the story chugs along with a interesting feel, the actually material which needs to be read is lean, much so compared to the actual amount of ramble-writing. I read this entire story in three minutes and still managed to get the ideas very quickly. I think, though, that it would be far more accurate to have a Western citizen held captive, not a muslim, which the Taliban are prodominately made up of.
ReplyDeleteBut still, the best story yet.
I concur with Amy, I thought for the most part the descriptive langauge was done nicely, although it did, go on for a while.
ReplyDeleteas much as i hate reading, that was a very powerful text, to which it actually capivated my attention the whole time when i was reading it.
ReplyDeletethe language techniques really set out the scenes.
it was very well produced. i commend it :)
well done.
Seemed very repetitive, well written but as amy said, felt like i was reading the same thing over over
ReplyDeleteI loved the use of adjectives, they were really descriptive and the point came across really clearly. The story itself was well written, it progressed gradually and gave hints as to the story behind the kidnapping which is one of the points of a short story.
ReplyDeleteAround halfway through the repetition of some of the adjectives seemed obvious. And while they were used well in both instances in a short story you want to try and avoid that.
Also be aware of the effect of your text. Sentences like "Sam stirring from his sleep pulls me from my Stupor-like-trance", to me this would be more effective as "Sam stirs from his sleep and pulls ..." or with grammer- "Sam, stirring from his sleep, pulls..."
Overall this is a really enjoyable short story, if somewhat depressing.
Giv
wow, intense much,
ReplyDeleteopening and conclusion are great! The body is captivating and very descriptive.
VERY WELL WRITTEN!
I find it hard to visualis someone cutting themselves with a piece of rope or material or whatever, but I got the point. I didn't think it was too repetitive, I mean, the persona's last thoughts are desperate - almost frantic - and it maybe adds to the rythm of the story. Seeing as I'm Agliophobic, Agateophobic AND extremely claustrophobic, I found it difficult to read, but for quality I thought it was pretty good.
ReplyDeleteWOW....what a well written piece of text. I could honestly see that in a novel or a book of some sort. Only one tiny bit of criticism, i know it has been mentioned but the repition of a few descriptions made me feeling as though i was lost or re-read something, however it painted a picture extremely well and i felt almost as though i was there apart of the action. Whomever wrote this is to be congratulated on their effort.
ReplyDeleteI dont know what to say besides OMG!!!! To be perfectly honest, I hate reading, but something about that story kept me going...
ReplyDeleteI really really like the conclusion- it's very effective and captivating.
ReplyDeleteTry not to use the same words over. some of the words use weren't appropriate (suitable fit)
Where's the title?haha
good work!
Great work. It's well-written and extremely descriptive which makes it very realistic - not corny and cliched. Hehe. I know who wrote this.
ReplyDeleteJust so people actually understand my previous comment, Agliophobica is the fear of pain and Agateophobia is the fear of insanity....Oh, and I meant to spell visualise with and 'e' on the end...oops!
ReplyDeleteSteffie, who?
ReplyDeleteGREAT STUFF.
ReplyDeleteThough I agree with the repetition it added to the story with great descriptions and left a disturbing message at the end. :)
I know who wrote this too. :)
CONGRATS _____ A well written story. :)
I know who wrote this too haha
ReplyDeleteis there anyone who doesn't know who wrote this?
ReplyDeleteI just think it's cool how you can relate a person to whether it is their piece of writing or not.Your writing style outlines you.MADDDDD
ReplyDelete