Sunday, January 24, 2010

To Ponder...

Mr Goodwin,
I just watched a very interesting old film called Guess Who's Coming to Dinner.
Have you heard of it?
It was made in the 60s and has Katherine Hepburn in it... I mention it because it would be a very good film to show your classes in place of making them watch Remember the Titans over and over and over again... It deals with the same themes, only more inteligently and with much more elegance. It is a film that manages to make many big political statements while appearing to be a love story.

Just a thought.

=)

20 comments:

  1. I do believe I've heard of it, don't really know much about it though. Coincidently, I watched Cannibal Holocaust the other day. Extremely disturbing. What are your thoughts on it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, now there's some contrast! Guess Who's Coming To Dinner vs. Cannibal Holocaust! If ever I wish to teach genres that will never see eye-to-eye, I'll use these films.

    "CH" is very hard to watch. Especially if you were one of the many thousands who believed they were watching a REAL documentary. As a result, it was banned here for many, many years, along with I Spit On Your Grave and, surprisingly, Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2.

    The Hepburn film is lovely. She wasn't in the habit of making bad films. The Philadelphia Story is another fantastic Hepburn film and also stars one of my favourite actors from that period: Jimmy Stewart. Love that guy! The Simpsons rip him off so well when they do the Rear Window satire (Hitchcock film) "Hey... there's a funny looking kid coming to kill me!"

    Great to see people's movie tastes are branching out these holidays beyond the usual garbage they throw at us each Christmas period.

    Although, I must say, Avatar is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew it wasn't a real documentary, although I also knew that the animal killings were all real, which made the turtle killing almost unbearable. My theory is that Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 was only banned here for such a long time because it is so terribly awful (with the exception of Bill Mosley's character of course).

    Now on to a different matter. Avatar was in no way great. It was exactly the same as every other action/sci-fi film, with an extremely obvious ending. The only reason people like it is because of the special effects, which in my opinion is rediculous, and the fact that it won the golden globe for both best film and best director makes me sick to my stomach.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely Bones was an interesting film.... nowhere NEAR as good as the book. But it held its own as a film.

    I like rear window too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Avatar today became the highest grossing film EVER, going ahead of titanic. says soemthing about the world we live in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen the guess whos comming to dinner and i dont like it. Not much of a comment. Ah well

    ReplyDelete
  7. That being said, Titanic wasn't really that great a film either. I'm not saying I don't like it, but I certainly wouldn't rank it as one of the best films of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. cut out the rubbish crap at the start and just have the movie from the point at where they hit the iceberg and it is easily the best film eva!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Better than the Good the bad and the ugly? I think not. Besides, there's only one spot in my heart for a movie about a ship getting smashed up, and the Posiden adventure fills it, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. but does that stupid movie have the best damn killing ever seen? The part where the dude falls off the edge and hits the propellor is easily the best killing EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The best death scene in a movie goes to Johnny Depp's character in the original nightmare on elm street film hands down. He gets sucked into his bed, and then basically a massive fountain of blood erupts out of the hole in the bed, it's hilarious. The deupty police guy is still in the Jon Puking...

    ReplyDelete
  12. As in toilet. If you had seen the movie you'd get it, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Let's not go saying things we can't take back...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice debate you got going there Jeff and Josh.

    Though I agree with Goodwin, Avatar was great. And Titanic was good too, it just would have been better with a lack of Leo Dicaprio. Sorry but since it was mentioned in class I can't get the idea of him playing Juliet out of my head. Hilarious!

    Oh and Jeff, I haven't seen that movie and I still knew what Josh meant by Jon. Brush up on your slang boy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I assumed that's what he ment but it was so lame i was hoping it was some sort of really bad typo!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Leo Dicaprio was quite dishy back then.... before he began an old person.

    ReplyDelete