I frantically dodge pedestrians as I dash for my car. I look down to glance at my watch, taking my eyes off the path for a second at most but it’s enough; before I even realise it, the world becomes a blur and I plummet to the hard concrete.
THUMP!
“Shit!” I cry as the contents of my purse ricochet across the pavement. Crushed tissues, old gum wrappers and crumpled receipts littler the sidewalk; pinned down by a small fortune in spare change.
The zipper on my makeup bag has split, exposing its contents to the judging eyes of the world. I crouch down unsteadily, struggling to balance in my sling back stilettos.
I sit back on my heels, flustered; and take in the scene before me: My pantyhose are torn and crimson blood is slowly oozing from a shallow graze on my knee. My phone is in pieces, it’s irritating but expected, the warranty just ran out. The latest issue of Cosmopolitan Magazine is lying in the gutter and Keira Knightly is grinning mockingly up at me from the cover, her face speckled with water.
I glimpse at my watch again, mere minutes have passed, I am very, very late.
I search the clutter anxiously for my cigarettes, desperate for a nicotine fix; I find them under the magazine, completely drenched. I reach over to them, feeling the sopping cardboard seeping under my red acrylic nails.
Squelch!
“Shit.” I groan, pained.
I start shovelling my possessions back into the bag. Firstly my make up, followed by the sodden magazine and cigarettes. I chuck my sunglasses in, followed by their case and a half empty packet of tic-tacs. I snatch my iPod out from under the toe of an oncoming construction worker, wrapping my headphones loosely around it before tossing it into the bag.
I sit for a moment, hopeless and stranded in the middle of the sidewalk, stressed and fumbling to collect the last of my belongings before they are crushed by clumsy pedestrians or blown away by the careless breeze. No one even thinks to slow as they pass.
I clamber to my feet, still flinging scraps into my handbag; I serge forward, stumbling slightly as I try to stand. I race for my car; scuffling with my keys. After a momentary eternity I get the door open, flinging myself into the driver’s seat and slamming on the accelerator.
Screech!
I swerve out onto the road, one look at the clock drives my pedal to the metal; I twist to fix my lipstick in the rear-view mirror and accidently… run a red light. Sirens whirl and I see the tell-tale red and blue lights flickering behind my reflection.
I am going to be so……… late.
“SHIT!” I shriek. Slamming the breaks as the cop car comes level with me; I lean forward, bashing my forehead on the steering wheel as the officer taps sternly on my window, looking smug behind his shinny black aviators.
“Excuse me Ma’am, but I’m gonn’a need t’ see yer driv’rs license.” He drawls in his thick Texan accent, his heavy eyebrows peaking over the top of his sunglasses. I sigh and reach for my purse, pulling out the thin piece of plastic. My heart starts to sprint, I feel sweat run down the back of my neck and my head I spinning. Slowly I turn back to the cop and cautiously offer it to him. Taking a deep breathe I stare intently at his face.
Waiting.
His features are different now; all traces of smugness are gone, replaced with a blank mask of shock, confusion and horror. ..
In hindsight I probably should have warned him; should have said something…
But I didn’t.
I stared at him innocently, my pulse echoing in my ears; he raises his right hand, sliding his sunglasses down his nose to gaze over the top of the lenses. His eyes were drowning in trepidation as his they search my face…
“Are you Mister Andrew Wilkins?”
hahaha.....wait.....i think i get it? Don't shoot me but does she just have like the wrong license or fake license?
ReplyDeleteI liked the story although i swear your getting paid huge amounts of money for product placement, what with all the brand names ( which by the way cosmo is an awesome magazine).
But i liked it :)
Well done Mystery writer
I really liked the descriptive language, but I have no idea what the last paragraph was about. Even wikipedia doesn't have anything on Andrew Wilkins, except for some publishing house. Is the main character actually a book? Hahaha, good story regardless, I like that you didn't feel the need to dumb down the twist for someone like me...
ReplyDeleteTWINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteSomeone correct me if I'm wrong, but I go the impression the twist was that "andrew wilkins" was a corssdresser/ transvestite. You know, heels, acryllic nails and pantyhose?
ReplyDeleteI loved the descriptive language and as far as awkward situations go I found this really amusing. I especially like the short one word paragraphs to add to the feel of the story running together and making it flow. Props to the writer.
cross-dresser*
ReplyDeleteEXCELLENT I LOVE IT lol hahaha of coarse its a crossdresser,what the hell? a fake license oh yeah cause that's entertaining an all. lol
ReplyDeleteexcellent work writer defiantly would read more of your stuff it seems very familiar though?
i think i know who you are!
(sorry 10-1 english but c'mon comment a little more and ill stop intruding)
Mmm, I suppose that makes sense... What I want to know is, is he/she the same Andrew Wilkins as the book publisher Wikipedia has a page on?
ReplyDeleteOK, loui. Seriously, STOP COMMENTING OUR BLOG. I KNOW I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE ANNOYED WITH IT. We can comment as much or as little as we like to our own stories, ok?
ReplyDeleteAnd Giv, i also got the impression it was a crossdresser. A very good entertaining story.
Death to all outsiders!
ReplyDelete