While re-reading the first part of Romeo and Juliet (no, not for enjoyment, for reasearch before I start my R rated screenplay for it), I noticed that Gregory and Sampson, the two dirty talking cowards who we all fell in love with at the start of the play we actually Capulets. I have no doubt that some of you already knew this, and I may be the only one who didn't, but I always assumed they were Montagues.
This sort of disapoints me in a way, as it really changes my opinion on the two sides. The capulets, who I always assumed were the more bad ass of the two groups, now have cowards among them, and the two Montagues, Abraham and someone, are way too agressive to fit with later Montagues.
The other odd thing is that, while the play starts off with the two Capulets walking and talking, the two films (maybe not the Zeffereli, but I'm pretty sure) started with Montagues instead.
So yeah, just thought I'd post that, and see what you guys think.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteA valid point...
ReplyDeleteTheatre versions don't usual omit it.
TOTALL UNRELATED: there's a picture with Taylor Swift (*erk*) lyrics in the slideshow >>>>
I read them and just realized she has clearly NEVER read the play... =S
I agree with the Baz Lurhman version on this issue. I also like to think the Capulets are the aggressors since there is so much evidence throughout the play of this (R.I.P. Tybalt!). It stands to reason that Abraham should be a Capulet.
ReplyDeleteOn the other hand, perhaps it was part of Shakespeare's intent to show both sides as fairly equal in their recklessness and belligerence -- as well as cowardice.