Monday, June 22, 2009

Long Live Blogger!

Don't listen to Jeff! This site is not dead. I've got more plans for this site yet. I've just been a bit snowed under with marking and reports and so on.

I've not forgotten you all. Please check in as often as possible.

Here's a Romeo and Juliet question:

Are Romeo and Juliet REALLY star-crossed lovers? Or are they silly, lustful teens? More importantly, do YOU believe in fate? In destiny?

And will the Prince hunt the Friar down?

Happy typing!

Mr. Goodwin

23 comments:

  1. I believe in fate to an extent, like I believe that some things are just going to happen no matter what (but not everything), but I also belive in stupidity, and that's what I believe Romeo and Juliet are indulged in, not love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty cold, Josh. Where's your romantic side?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Romance has nothing to do with it, the very notion of love at first sight is obsurd. I really can not enjoy Romeo and Juliet, because just as I begin to get into the whole story, I think "Wait, these two are just stupid kids who can't keep it in the pants (apologies if that's a bit grim) who are risking eveything for nothing".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Question, but seriously, are we going to listen to josh, the reason u cant get into it is because u have no heart :) somewhere, in everyones heart there is that romatic side, u just need to find yours.

    To the question, i dont belive they were star crossed lovers but it was always going to happen, put a "keep out" sign infront of something were gunna do it, forbid love, they are still going to do it. Personally i dont no how u can call someone "stupid" when they come up with some of the stuff they say, sure they make rush decisions, but thats wat love does, you take a leap and never look back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh and well done Goodwin, u listened to my post and up dated this :) it was a wake up call :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great points! Would love to hear from other people...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the problem is thought that not really anyone else comes on here, so...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha!!!! About that... the ad is really pissing me off, so much little fidgeting and other stuff like that so i've got it all on a usb stick to give ya, you can rip ya hair out trying to do it, i've given up :)

    But on a better note i started filming for me Entry into the school film comp today, ill tell ya about it when eva i see ya next

    ReplyDelete
  9. Righto. I'll love to have a crack at editing what you've shot. You'll be surprised just how good your stuff actually is, Jeff. Don't put yourself down so much. Even if you don't like what you've shot --

    -- everything can change in the editing room!

    ReplyDelete
  10. /Sigh. Romance has become a romantic notion. So few people indulge in romantic gestures these days. It's a sign of our generation where, let's face it, romance is practically dead.

    Josh's thinking is an example of why. For our generation, it's a normal assumption. In Shakespeare's time it would have been relatively
    /Sigh. Romance has become a romantic notion. So few people indulge in romantic gestures these days. It's a sign of our generation where, let's face it, romance is practically dead.

    Josh's thinking is an example of why. For our generation, it's a normal assumption. In Shakespeare's time it would have been relatively easy for those people to believe that Romeo and Juliet were in love.

    Are they star- crossed lovers? Maybe. They're relationship was fate to a certain extent. They were bound to eventually meet and Romeo would have had the same reaction to her everytime; but the fact that Romeo acted on it was his choice, and fate had nothing to do with that. It's a difficult point to argue, because it's a pretty complex plot when you think about it and there are many, many factors contributing to the end result. We mostly have to assume Shakespeare wrote to sound exactly how it is and accept its end result.

    Do I believe in fate or destiny? I guess I'm with Josh on that one- to an extent.

    (And when did film editing appear as a conversation topic? [Goodwin!])

    I check the blog pretty regularly Jeff, I just don't always comment or post. I prefer responding to posting.

    Catch you guys later.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hmm, right. trust giv to write the long blog!

    anyway. yes, i DO believe romeo and juliet were star-crossed lovers, i am going to go against what all of you say and say YES. josh, you may think love at first sight to be impossible but i dont. i believe in it. i don't believ in LOVE at first sight, but there is definately a chance of physical and emotional attraction for someone at first sight. the attraction can only grow or whither from there.

    I do truly believ they were in love, sure, some of their decisions were a bit rash, but everyone makes rash decisions, and wouldn't you all if you were in that situation? i know i would. They are scared that someone will catch them out, and juliet being locked away all her life has likely never had contact with anyone that speaks to her the way romeo does. so of course, that is going to add to the attraction.

    Yes, i do believe in fate, but sometimes fate can work against people, and as for destiny, i dont know, because i thik that there is NO WAY something can be decided before we make current decisions. eg, if i think now i want to do a certain career and then in 6 months time change my mind, obviously my future and my DESTINY are going to change. this is why we cannot travel into the future, because if we did, when we actually GOT there in real time, things would be different anyway.

    and as for the friar. WILL the prince hunt him down? i dont think he will, because it says no where that the prince knows about the friar. there is no proff. romeo didn't get the potion from him anyway, and there really is no proof. who do U think is to blame?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Trust me to write the long blog!!!!

    Rebecca Brooke Johnson you will find that your blog is longer than mine!!! And mine also has a glitch at the start where my first 2 paragraphs seem to repeat....

    So =P (Yes, I'm mature *shifty glance over shoulder*)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm just going to step in there bec about the whole time travel thing. Now I know this wasn't the point of your post, but I know a good argument when I see one. Now yes, your right, if we were to travel into the future, once/if we got back to out time, unless we tried desperately to keep things the same, it's likely that eveything would change. But that doesn't mean that time travel isn't possible.

    Just think about this. The faster someone runs, the less time it takes to get them somewhere, right? Well, if someone were to go fast enough, it would eventually take them 0 milliseconds to get some where. Now theareticly, that's correct. So, if someone were to then go even faster then what they were going, the only amount of time to go is backwards, right? So therefor, time travel is possible. Now yes, that's only an explanation for back in time, but going forward is also possible.

    ALl you'd have to do, is go back (using what I just said) to get to the time of medieval and stuff. Then, all you'd have to do is find merlin, and get him to whip you up a batch of time serum, and you'd beable to go into the future. hahaha, ok, that's not really a good explanation, but if going back in time is possibly, forward will probably be practical one day too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What the hell are u ppl talking about? its so stupid, and giverny love does still exsist, it's just that our school has a rather large proportion of meat heads and nerds so of course your not going to see a guy with a rose in his mouth everywhere u look but it is still there. plus, the teachers tend to take a stance against us showing our love at school, trust me, i no :s or just ask luke & rachael hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  15. Perhaps if we could go back in time we could undo love? Just a suggetion/desperate attempt to tie my earlier comment in with the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ok Jeff- Yes I believe love still exists. I merely pointed out that romance seems to have been killed off. And if someone walked around with a rose in there mouth at school I would laugh my arse off.

    And as for the showing our love bit- lol!

    Josh nice attempt but you didn't really pull it off...

    All of us are really off topic aren't we?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Not really, I think this love talking is pretty much what the topic was supposed to be about. I sort of agree with you Giv, love still lives, it's romance that has died. And the reason is because romance is now seen as corny and just gay.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm just answering the question and not really responding to anyone elses answer because you're entitled to your oppinion.

    I do not believe in fate, destiny, miricles, a god/higher power or love at first sight. However i do believe in human fragilty and attraction at first sight. These are both demonstrated in the text of romeo and juliet.
    Human fragilty : They die
    Attraction at first sight : The only reason why Romeo even confronts juliet is because he thought that she was beautiful.

    I do not believe that they were star crossed lovers. Just that it was a very lovely phrase written on paper. The only time that i would believe that they would be destened to be together would be the fact that Shakespeare knew how he was going to end the play, and that in the script he destined them to be togther.

    And just for the record i dont think i'm being cold or shallow, because many have said that before, its just the way that i have interpreted it.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I will get around to answering the whole star-crossed fate deal but.....
    I do not believe romance is dead.
    It has merely got a new wardrobe, changed its name, packed up and moved states. In short, its changed.
    Epic, windswept romances (in the style titanic and gone with the wind) are too extravagant for our now cynical view of the world. But even though our passion for grand gestures is gone; romance is not.
    We loose romance when we loose our ability to see it in new forms; to see the beauty of love when it isn't wrapped up in ribbon and covered in glitter.

    For example: I was in Sydney recently and while walking though Hyde Park to catch my bus to oxford street, I saw a little old lady and a little old man sitting on a park bench. They were holding hands and the lady had her head on the mans shoulder. They just sat there and watched the pigeons by the fountain and talked quietly to each other. They seemed totally and totally happy and utterly at peace in each others company. I see this as real romance.

    Real romance isn't about grand gestures, its the little things.
    Why write your lovers name in the stars when you could lay under those same stars with them in your arms?
    Why give someone the world when all they want is you?

    Romance is not dead.
    We have simply forgotten where to find it.

    And as no one knows romance like musicians....
    "I remember the time you drove all night
    Just to meet me in the morning
    And I thought it was strange
    You said everything changed
    You felt as if you'd just woke up
    And you said,
    This is the first day of my life,
    Glad I didn't die before I met you
    But now I don't care I could go anywhere with you
    And I'd probably be happy."

    First Day of My Life by Brighteyes.

    "You could be my unintended
    Choice to live my life extended
    You should be the one I'll always love."

    Unintended by MUSE

    "Close your eyes and I’ll kiss you,
    Tomorrow I’ll miss you;
    Remember I’ll always be true.
    And then while I’m away,
    I'll write home ev'ry day,
    And I’ll send all my loving to you."

    All My Loving by The Beatles

    ReplyDelete
  21. People, just a suggestion, can we keep out answers somewhere around the 2 paragraph answer MAX!!!!, i really cant be stuffed reading 5 pages lol, no affence,i bet they r quality but still, short and sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. well you dont HAVE to read them...

    ReplyDelete