
http://diofilmcomp.ning.com/
This year I've included a screenwriting component and it's now open to EVERY CATHOLIC SCHOOL IN NSW! The posters and advertising have been sent EVERYWHERE and I'm already getting some feedback and emails from keen teachers from outside the local region (Sydney, Central Coast).
So I really recommend that you participate in this comp. If you're not interested in the short film comp. then write a script (max. 6 pages). The keyword this year is LEAF.
Work on something in the holidays and send it to me as a Word document, or .PDF or google doc. etc.
Remember, my gmail is mattg0376@gmail.comLet's show these other regions what YOU guys can come up with!
Let me know if you have any questions.
Goodwin
Wow. Congrats Mr Goodwin. You never know, after this success they may be begin you to teach film as an elective.
ReplyDeleteI will try to enter, but am moving house in the holidays so may be difficult. But anyway, good luck with it.
Amy
Question:
ReplyDeleteIs that hompage that site you wanted to set up but the school/CSO wouldnt let you? Because if it is thats ridiculous. I really like the page. its asthetically pleasing.
Yep, that's the site. The Powers That Be were uncomfortable that ning.com had ads on the site. Who knows, maybe a google ad for weight loss will appear and drive a poor self-esteem deprived teenager into anorexia and death!
ReplyDeleteAnyway, once I proved to them that if you set up a PRIVATE ning site, then the ads miraculously vanish. They conceded defeat and unblocked it. However, as you may notice, I haven't bothered to make my site private, so the ads are there. Who cares?
Anyway, good luck with a script. Definitely check out celtx.com to help format your script. It's free and really easy to use. However, you're pretty creative with a camera too. Perhaps a stop-motion short film?
Does the "professional screenwriter who's going to assess the films and screenplays" refer to you?
ReplyDeleteMore questions:
ReplyDeleteIs there a time restraint for the film (6 minutes perhaps?)
When's the deadline?
Can we submit a film as well as the screenplay for it?
Are we allowed to use copyrighted music?
That's all for now.
No, the professional writer assessing the work is not me. This is mainly because, well... I'm not a professional writer.
ReplyDeleteThe writer is a guy by the name of Anthony O'Connor. He writes regular reviews in "Filmink" magazine and his first feature film was called "Angst." Don't bother going to your video shop to look for it, though. He and I were friends back in our school days before he moved to Sydney.
He's pretty keen to read some good stuff. So, write on!
Now, the max. time limit for the film is 4 minutes (I'll allow a 10 second overflow)
The deadline is 24th September.
You CAN submit the film and its screenplay as separate entries.
Copyright material is still a sticky situation at this point. However, since this is a school thing, we may be okay. I'm contacting the CSO legal person soon to check on this. Considering that this isn't Tropfest, or Sundance, I doubt copyright would be too much of an issue.
So dust off your Tarantino soundtracks.
Interesting, interesting. I just may have to take part in this little competition of yours Goodwin...
ReplyDeleteYeah it does look like a good site, and i will check out that scriptwriting thing, but as far as filming goes, maybe not. Stop motion is fun but i dont think i have enough patience to do something like that for four minuets. But you never know.
ReplyDeleteDoesn't have to be four minutes, Rubber. It can be thirty seconds, if you want. Less even, but I don't think that's going to be enough time to do anything.
ReplyDeleteI'd love to see a return of the Wooden Man. Perhaps he finds a four leaf clover, only to discover it's brought him nothing but sadness.
I'm a cheerful chap, I know.
mg
aha, so cheerful. Well maybe. I might be able to find him a companion even. Well heres to the holidays
ReplyDeleteHey peoples.
ReplyDeleteAt the moment i'm on the school computers and Shelly is trying to view your dio site and the CSO wont let her :p.
I thought it was funny.
just out of curiosity does the keyword have to be said or featured predominately or Wat?
ReplyDeleteThe keyword can be as predominant or as subtle as you like. Your film could be about leaves, or simply a character tells another to "Make like a tree... leave!" Get it? Leave... So funny!
ReplyDeletehmm, could it be as subtle as having your two characters fighting in the bush?
ReplyDeleteNot sure. Bush is not quite the same as leaf - despite leaves obviously making up bushes.
ReplyDeleteWhat if one character shoves a fistful of leaves down the other's throat. Or, if one dies, have leaves fall on his body.
Can you give one of them a one-liner? "And now, I'm afraid I must leave you."
(giggles like a little school boy) Bush
ReplyDeleteJeff I'm in a different hemisphere and your bad humour still manages to reach and astound me in its childishness xP
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the reach of the competition sir, your efforts have achieved an awesome result =) Hope the competition brings out some real talent.