Your thing was in Aurora today, brang back a lot of good memories, one thing angered me though: Your top ten. Baz Luman's (not even going to try spelling it) Romeo and Juliet? Are you insane? I'm usually quite understanding of all people's beliefs and opinions, but how anyone could like this piece of poorly edited, rubbishly acted (I don't mind Leo anymore, after seeing him in The Departed and Shutter island, but his acting in this is annoying, as is Claire Danes) piece of trash baffles me. It's just disgusting...
That is all.
All I have to say is that I've never seen so many students want an aurora before...
ReplyDeleteI can see why you would say that, Josh. And I'm angry at myself for omitting, JAWS! But, I must admit, the more I watch Romeo and Juliet, the more I see in it. I'm constantly amazed at the depth of symbolism in every frame. It is a masterfully directed film. I fall short of calling it a masterpiece, but I have to give props to Baz for his work.
ReplyDeleteThere were SO MANY films I wanted to pick and MANY MORE that SHOULD be on this list that I probably just forgot about. Making a Top 10 is extremely difficult and I baulked at the Aurora woman when she asked for one.
I made my selection based on watchability - films I ENJOY watching more than once. Not merely films I KNOW are great, but aren't necessarily entertaining.
Other films I should have included: Jaws; Full Metal Jacket; 2001 A Space Odyssey; The Hurt Locker; The Exorcist; To Kill a Mockingbird; District 9; The Good, The Bad and The Ugly; Gran Torino; Grease (Yes, Grease!); Terminator (1 & 2); Mad Max 2; Braveheart; Pulp Fiction; Inglorious Basterds; Se7en; The Silence of the Lambs; Three Colours White; City of Lost Children; Delicatessan; Star Wars; Dead End 1, 2, and 3!
And these are just the ones I can think of at this moment in time.
To Catch a Thief; Rear Window; 28 Days Later; The Dark Knight; Memento; The Departed; One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest; Deliverence; Nightmare on Elm Street; The Professional; The Deer Hunter; Platoon; JFK; Ringu; The Proposition; Unforgiven; The Godfather I & II; Night of the Living Dead; Evil Dead 1 & 2; Kill Bill; Lord of the Rings 1 (not the sequels); Das Boot; Amelie...
ReplyDeleteNosferatu; Fargo...
ReplyDeleteWow, that's a... that's a long list of top ten movies, haha. To be fair though, I would argue that a lot of them are extremely re-watchable, more so than the ones on your aurora list. By way of interest, have you seen the Japanese film "Battle royale"? Just curious for what you thought of it if you have, I loved it.
ReplyDeleteha! quite liked the article, especially the subtle reference to me "brainchild of one of his students".
ReplyDeleteHowever I was quite shocked, and even more so when i read this rediciliously long list that not once is UP! mentioned. Terrific film. Deserves a lot more recognition!
Up is up there (see what I did there?) with the most over-rated films in the last ten or so years, along with No Country For Old Men (it was mediocre at best), Juno, The Dark Knight (It's good but it's not THAT good), 300 and the entire Harry Potter and Twilight series'.
ReplyDeleteok i have a question... u said you like the exorcist.... what does the first forty minutes of that movie have to do with the rest of it.... cause no matter how many times i watch it i can never figure it out... im talking about the bit with the archaeologists or however you spell it...
ReplyDeleteO nd we might have a new chick coming to our school at like the end of the term....
ReplyDeleteTo Rachael: I think the first act of the film (the prologue concerning the archeologists) is hinting that a Satanic force has been unleashed by ambitious humanity. It reflects a REAL historical mystery when archeologist first discovered the tomb of Tutenkamen. (Certain of misspelling here!) Many people involved in the expedition DIED as a result of either: a) a curse that the Egyptians placed on anyone who opened the tomb, or b) years of poisonous gases building up over the centuries within the tomb walls. Either way, it made great headlines and served as the basis for the Exorcist. There's a suggestion that it's not SATAN who possesses the little girl, but a demonic curse - a combination of demons. The possessed girl even says, "My name is Legion... for we are many!"
ReplyDeleteScary stuff! I love it!
Tutankhamun. You were close. Kinda.
ReplyDeleteOh no! Goodwin got started on movies! I'm not going to attempt to join in as Josh and Jeff have done that already.
I will say congrats to Goodwin on the success you're currently having with Short Film interest in schools. And add that although I've grudginly had to concede that Luhman's version of Romeo and Juliet is pretty good, it will never beat Zeffirelli's version ;D Lol
o well that makes sense then :)
ReplyDelete